Here are a few SEO (Search Engine Optimization) best practices and tips that can be used to improve and enhance your Web Pages in order to show up higher in Google Search Results.
First of all, to help you improve your website ranking, you have some fields to the web page configuration:
1. Title of the page
This one is a mandatory field that will contain the title of the page in plain English.
- Use this actively : dont leave a single page without it as its content will be used by the search engines to better categorize your web page.
- Use 6-10 words that describe the text (make sure that they contain 1 or 2 keywords and try to make it no longer than 75 characters).
- Avoid special characters which may confuse the search engines and negatively impact your web page's ranking.
- Avoid repeating the same word too many times in the title.
- This is a simple change that will help you better describe your web page so that the search engines index it better.
This field is optional but recommended as some search engines do actively use it. It will contain a comma-separated list of the main words describing the content of your page. Here are some tips on how to use it:
- List 6-10 Keywords.
- Avoid repeating the same keyword or variations of the same Keyword (a search engine will consider the words "Management", "Manager", "managing" and "manage" as the same one because it has the same stem... which will be considered spam).
- List describing words that are really important for the text.
This is a general description of the content of your web page. In some cases it will be used and displayed as a description of the page under the link to it. This field is optional and if you leave it blank a small description will be automatically generated from the content by CampusGroups. Here are some tips for the description field:
- Use some of the keywords that you listed but don't abuse it.
- Keep it short but descriptive: only use 60-200 characters for your description.
4. Robot Index
This optional field is used to decide if you want your web page to be indexed by the search engines and therefore to make it searchable. By default it is set to "Yes" but if your Page contains important/sensitive information that you don't want people to be able to search or see in the future, then you should change it to "No".
Note: You can also prevent a page from being seen by the general public by restricting its "Access Rights".
5. Web Page Content
To write the content of your web page:
- Organize your content in groups and categories.
- If you have links on your web page, make sure that the links are not broken and that they are linking correctly.
- Multimedia: put images in your content (always better if their size is less than 50KB).
- If you upload images, fill in the alt and title fields with a description of what the image represents.
- Update your web pages content often: this is done automatically for you in some of the CampusGroups pages (i.e. events, blog, photos...) when you update your group information.
- Use some of the keywords in the first paragraph of the content.
- Use all the keywords in the content.
For more information on this topic you can find interesting content on these web pages: