Both the API and the Data Warehouse are ways to extract data from CampusGroups.
The API does allow you to automatically extract data from the system and feed it into other systems on campus (including your campus data warehouse). Most schools use this option, but the data sets are a bit more limited than what the data warehouse option offers.
For example, API data will not include past or deleted events.
The Data Warehouse
The data warehouse offers access to a lot more system data in raw format (requiring foreign key connections between tables).
Use of the Data Warehouse requires a good understanding of the platform data flows.
- To access the Data Warehouse, please go to: https://yourPlatformDomainName/admin_data?json=1
- You will be able to request all sorts of data, as can be seen on the screenshot below.
- The question mark to the left of each field allows you to view each data set's fields.
- As an example, we will pull the users' data from the platform:
- Click on "Users".
2. Follow the instructions given on the page to have access to the data.
3. The timestamp can be found in the URL:
4. Replace [Token] in the URL by a MD5 hash of the time stamp and the api_secret.
- If the time stamp is "2019-05-09T15:28:43" .
- And the api_secret is "45iu232hb32iu324uf9s9fdd".
Get the MD5 hash by prompting these lines in PowerShell:
$md5 = new-object -TypeName System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider
$utf8 = new-object -TypeName System.Text.UTF8Encoding
$hash = [System.BitConverter]::ToString($md5.ComputeHash($utf8.GetBytes($preauth)))
As you can see, "preauth" is a concatenation of both previous strings (the time stamp and the api_secret).
You will get the following string: "3ee2e6c619e645f762a13ffffc3459fa".
So the URL will be:
5. Use this URL to get the Users's data in a Json format.